AlibabaOver in the US, consumers have a several services to choose from when it comes to video streaming. You have platforms such as Netflix, HBO, Amazon, and etc., but unfortunately these services have yet to expand on a global scale meaning that in many other countries in different parts of the world, they won’t have access to them.

However over in China, internet e-commerce giant Alibaba is planning to do something about it. The company has recently confirmed that they will be launching their own online video streaming service in the next couple of months that will emulate the likes of Netflix and HBO. The service will bring in content from China (obviously) and other countries, and will also see in-house productions.

This similar to what Netflix and HBO have been doing with their own in-house shows such as House of Cards and Game of Thrones. According to Alibaba’s Patrick Liu, “Our mission, the mission of all of Alibaba, is to redefine home entertainment. Our goal is to become like HBO in the United States, to become like Netflix in the United States.”

Unfortunately Alibaba’s efforts will not be the first in the country. Other local Chinese companies such as Baidu and Tencent have already beaten them to the market. However given Alibaba’s reach, size, and reputation, perhaps it will help give them the edge. The company is planning to include free content which will account for 10% of its offerings. The remaining 90% will either be accessible on a monthly subscription basis, or on a show-to-show basis.

Filed in Videos (web). Read more about , , and .

Discover more from Ubergizmo

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading