While modern day batteries have definitely come a long way in terms of their technology and capacity, this does not mean that they are all that safe. After all, how many times have we read about a smartphone exploding (like this Sony Xperia T3 being the most recent example) or that of an electronic cigarette bursting into flames?
Of course, this leads to one thinking about electric cars that run on, you’ve guessed it – batteries. Are they safe enough to drive around without suddenly bursting into a fireball? A campervan over on Canterbury Road in Densole near Folkestone caught fire after a mobile phone in there exploded.
Needless to say, the scene was not a pretty one, as there was extensive damage due to the exploding mobile phone. Firemen were alerted to the situation shortly before 10.25pm yesterday, and the main suspect as at press time would be the overheated mobile phone that resulted in the battery exploding. Furnishings in the campervan then caught fire, before the flames started to lick up the innards of the vehicle.
It took approximately 20 minutes for the firemen to douse the flames, with the help of a hose reel jet and breathing apparatus. I suppose we as consumers will just have to do our part and purchase only original accessories and parts for our mobile devices, and perhaps add a dash of common sense – if the phone feels too hot to the touch, stop using it!