We have seen countless reports of mobile devices exploding or catching fire while being charged. Normally, it’s a third-party or counterfeit charger or charging cable that’s to blame. A report out of China brings us the story of a Galaxy Note 7 that apparently blew up while it was being charged using a USB Type-C converter. The Galaxy Note 7 is Samsung’s brand new flagship smartphone and it certainly won’t look good for the handset if this is being caused due to an inherent issue with the device, but that doesn’t appear to be the case here.
The pictures clearly show that this is a Galaxy Note 7 that has certainly seen better days. The device is burnt to a crisp and will be of no use to anybody.
It’s not known at this point in time whether the handset was being charged using a third-party USB Type-C converter or the one that Samsung ships with the handset in the box.
To be on the safe side, you must always use the original charger and cable that comes with your mobile device, and in the Galaxy Note 7’s case that also applies to the USB Type-C converter as well.
Samsung hasn’t said yet if it’s looking into the incident though all signs point to an issue with the charging setup and not with the actual device itself. You have nothing to fear right now if you’re using the Galaxy Note 7 with the charger that it was shipped with.