La French Tech is back at CES in Las Vegas this year, with more than 300 start-ups and Ubergizmo as an official media partner . Ubergizmo will cover the best French start-ups’ news and product launches during the tradeshow – Read our French Tech coverage here).
La French Tech is the brand name used to describe the French start-up community: entrepreneurs, investors, engineers, designers, public organizations, etc. committed to the growth of French start-ups and their international expansion.
Part of the success of La French Tech at CES is due to the start-up selection process of Business France, one of the founding members of La French Tech initiative and brand.
Among the 300+ French startups located at the Eureka Park, 20+ have been selected to be part of the Business France delegation at CES 2020. Every year, a jury of 10 experts select 20+ early-stage companies out of more than 200 applicants for their product innovation and high potential to successfully grow their business in the U.S. and global markets. Since 2014, this selection process allows Business France to showcase the finest of French start-ups at its Pavilion during CES 2020.
Business France is the national agency supporting the international development of the French economy.
French start-ups are united and visible under a powerful brand, “La French Tech,” both in France and abroad. The French Tech community includes champions and unicorns in every major tech industry like AI, Deeptech, Blockchain and Tech for Good:
- BlaBlaCar: the carpooling online marketplace is now a global leader in the Mobility Industry and raised more than $400M in total. Last year, they bought OuiBus, known today as Blablabus, a European coach service.
- Ynsect: in February 2019, the scale-up raised $125M and broke the European funding record for an Agtech start-up. The company is now building the largest insect farm in the world, in France.
- Criteo: the French ad-tech company raised about $250M during its IPO on the Nasdaq in October 2013.
- Nokia acquired French connected-health company Withings, the maker of the stylish Activité and Steel HR smartwatches, for ~$190M (€170M) in June 2016. And surprisingly, in May 2018, the Finish company sold its Digital Health Division back to Withings’ co-founder Eric Careel. Stay tuned for Ubergizmo’s CES 2020 coverage as the company will certainly launch new products at the show.
- Parrot is the French company that invented the consumer drone category by launching its R. drone at CES 2010. Users could remote-control the small Parrot quadcopter via a smartphone over WiFi. That was a disruptive innovation at the time, and multiple U.S. media outlets recognized Parrot as the pioneer in the field. Fast forward ten years later, Parrot is exiting the consumer drone market in 2019, losing a tough battle against DJI, the Chinese consumer drone-maker leader, which accounts for over 76% of the global market today. The French company is now focusing on the commercial drone segment, and recently closed a great deal with the U.S. military that no longer want to use DJI drones (since 2017).
Every year, French start-ups are achieving a new record of funding. In 2018, they raised $3,903M, and it should be around $4,9M in 2019, which places France in Europe, just behind the UK.
France is ranked 1st in Europe for the number of large companies that created a lab, incubator or accelerator (48% in France versus 40% in Germany and 25% in UK Source: Maddyness, 2017).
France @ CES:
In 2019, France hit a record with 380 startups exhibiting at CES, against 349 in 2018. At CES 2020, over 300 startups came for France.
For the 7th consecutive year, Business France is proud to showcase its start-up selection at its Pavilion during CES 2020, where French startups will exhibit their high-tech innovations. If you are attending CES this year, go check them out at the Eureka Park in the Sands Expo Hall in Las Vegas.
Some French Tech innovations will be shown for the first time at CES Unveiled on Jan 5th, starting from 5 PM at the Mandalay Bay.
- BOOKINOU® www.mybookinou.com
- Voice Market www.voice-market.io
- VistaKlub www.vistaklub.com
- Vivoka www.vivoka.com
Health & Environnement
- Chronolife www.chronolife.net
- Duolab www.loccitane.com
- Mateo www.mateo.ai
- MyFood www.myfood.eu
- Hoom Band / Dodow and Hoom www.mydodow.com
- Olythe www.olythe.io
- Y-Brush www.y-brush.com
- Edwin&Edith www.edwinetedith.fr
- Divacore www.divacore.com
Mobility and Smart city
- Wello www.wello.io/index.php
CES Innovation Awards
- BASSME www.bassme.fr
- BYSTAMP www.bystamp.com
- MY FIT SOLUTIONS www.myfit-solutions.com
- JOUÉ www.play-joue.com
- GREEN SYSTEMS AUTOMOTIVES www.greensystemsautomotives.com
- Mateo www.mateo.ai
- PROOVSTATION www.proovstation.com
- TCHEK www.tchek.fr
- The Box / LIVINGPACKETS www.livingpackets.com
- XRAPID GROUP www.xrapid-group.com