Image credit - Jackie Fedro

Image credit – Jackie Fedro

Advertising

In the past we have heard of how some phones have exploded while charging, and in some cases have even caused burns to their victims. Recently over in Illinois, it looks like something similar has happened where a 13-year old girl suffered from second-degree burns after she was using her phone while it was charging.

Speaking to BuzzFeed News, the teen’s mom Jackie Fedro said that she had given her daughter Gabbie a new phone, the LG d500 from T-Mobile, on Christmas as she felt that she was old enough to have a phone. However one night when Gabbie was using her phone, she started screaming and grabbing her neck.

According to Fedro, “She came running downstairs after it [happened] grabbing her neck. She was in so much pain she was screaming hysterically. It’s the worst feeling in the world as a mother to watch your child scream in pain and have no idea how to help her. It took her a good five minutes before she was even able to tell us what had happened.”

Turns out that she was given an electrical shock by her phone and the current traveled from her phone and through her necklace, burning her neck and leaving a scar in the process. Fedro claims that they were using original equipment out of the box, which is odd since most of the time these situations involve using third-party and authorized accessories.

T-Mobile has since sent the family a new phone and offered to pay Gabbie’s medical bills, and have also taken the phone back to run tests on.

Filed in Cellphones. Read more about , and .

Related Articles on Ubergizmo