We’ve heard of phones exploding, we’ve also seen hoverboards catch on fire, and now if you’re the type that gets paranoid easily, you might have to skip this post because it has recently been reported that our wearables could explode as well. In a report from Associated Press (via Gizmodo), a woman in Milwaukee suffered second-degree burns after her Fitbit exploded.


According to the report Dina Mitchell, the woman in question, was wearing her Fitbit when it exploded on her. This resulted in her suffering from second-degree burns and doctors had to pick pieces of plastic out of her wound. Mitchell claims she was reading a book when the tracker exploded and that there was no indication that anything was wrong. Mitchell said, “The Fitbit itself is totally melted. The bracelet melted, and I got pieces of plastic burned into my arm.”

She also claims to have been very careful when wearing the device, but it appears it wasn’t enough to prevent what happened to her. “If they are exploding or if there’s some type of malfunction with them, I mean, I’m going to have a scare from this probably, can you imagine what it would do to a child?”

To be fair, we haven’t really heard of Fitbit’s exploding so this could be a one-off incident. In a statement provided to Gizmodo, Fitibt said, “We have spoken with Ms. Mitchell and are actively investigating this issue. We are not aware of any other complaints of this nature and see no reason for people to stop wearing their Flex 2. We will share additional information as we are able.”

Filed in Gadgets. Read more about , and .

Related Articles on Ubergizmo