Diane Chung, a real estate agent based in Long Island, has filed a lawsuit against Samsung claiming that her Galaxy Note 9 caught fire. The ill-fated Galaxy Note 7 damaged Samsung’s reputation quite a bit due to its battery defect that resulted in the product being discontinued merely weeks after it was released. Chung claims in her lawsuit that something similar has happened with the Galaxy Note 9.

Court papers reveal the story. Chung was in the elevator of a Bayside building when her new Galaxy Note 9 “became extremely hot,” so she stopped using it and put it inside her bag. She then heard a “whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke” coming out of her purse.

She tried to empty the purse’s contents on the floor and burned her fingers as she grabbed the device. She kicked it out of the elevator when the doors opened and the handset apparently didn’t stop burning until someone picked it up with a cloth and dropped it in a bucket of water.

Chung calls the experience “traumatic” in her lawsuit, adding that the damaged device left her unable to contact clients and also destroyed everything in her bag. She’s seeking unspecified damages and a restraining order to ban sales of the Galaxy Note 9.

“We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note9 device and we are investigating the matter,” a spokesperson for Samsung told the New York Post.

Filed in Cellphones. Read more about and . Source: nypost