We have heard instances of iPhones exploding and catching on fire. They don’t happen quite as often (thankfully), but it does happen. Recently, a report from 23ABC News has revealed that over in California, an iPhone 6 reportedly caught on fire while being held in the hands of an 11-year old girl.
However, the good news is that the girl, Kayla Ramos, was not hurt and no one else in the area was injured either. Instead, it seems that the only damage was to a blanket. According to Ramos, “I had my phone in my hand and then I saw sparks flying everywhere and I just threw it on a blanket.”
It is unclear as to why the handset caught on fire, but apparently Apple has since reached out to Ramos and has offered a replacement and also asked to see the device, presumably to see what was wrong and what could have caused it to catch on fire. We have heard of such issues in the past, although this was usually associated to unauthorized third-party cables and chargers.
It could have also been damage made to the battery, where lithium-ion batteries have been known to swell and explode, causing fires, if they are damaged from either being dropped or punctured.