Apple’s AirTag is a small tracking accessory designed to help you keep track of where your bags or keys are kept. However, when the device first launched, an Australian retailer pulled it from their shelves over concerns that due to the small nature of the batteries used in the AirTag, children might accidentally swallow it.

Now it looks like the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) has decided to issue an official warning and that the AirTag should be kept away from children. According to the regulator, this is due to how easy it is to access the battery door of the AirTag, which raised concerns that kids might accidentally open the door and swallow the battery.

Prior to this, Apple did state that the AirTag was designed to meet international child safety standards, but it seems that as far as the ACCC are concerned, it’s not enough. According to ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard, “We note that Apple has now added a warning label to the AirTag’s packaging. However, this alone does not address our fundamental concerns about children being able to access the button batteries in these devices.”

We’re not sure if there’s anything Apple could do to make it safer for kids, but for now, the AirTags are still allowed to be sold in Australia, it’s just that it will now have an official warning from the ACCC.

Filed in Apple >Gadgets. Read more about . Source: 9to5mac