One of the features of Waze is that as you drive, the app can show you the speed at which you are driving. This is useful if you’re constantly relying on the app to navigate to your destination instead of having to switch back and forth between the app and your car’s dashboard.
The good news for non-Waze users is that Google has introduced a similar feature to its Google Maps app and if you’d like to learn how to turn the feature on, check out the steps below.
How To Turn On Google Maps’ Speedometer Feature
- Make sure you have the latest version of Google Maps (Play Store link)
- Tap the hamburger menu icon in the top left corner to pull up the menu
- Scroll down and tap Settings > Navigation Settings
- Scroll down and you should see a toggle for Speedometer
- Turn it on and go back to the app’s main screen
Now whenever you are driving and are using Google Maps, you should be able to see the speedometer feature within the app. We should point out that at the moment, the speedometer feature is only available on Android devices. It is also limited to countries at this time of writing, such as Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Portugal, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
We expect that eventually, Google will get around to releasing it for other markets, so if you don’t see the ability to toggle the speedometer function on your version of Google Maps, that could be why.