According to him, “It was around 3AM and I woke up to a loud pop and was immediately in a thick cloud of smoke, sparks, and a bright red glow coming from my phone on my night stand, the same place it had been since the day I purchased it Nov 1, 2015. I was using the official Google USB-C cable and charger. It is now completely fried, the screen is popped up and the insides are charred, the Ringke Fusion case I had on it is melted, as is the Popsocket I had on the back of it.”
It is unclear as to how this happened as an investigation has yet to be done. However in the past we have heard about issues regarding USB-C cables and how some of them aren’t fully compliant with the standard which could prove to be rather dangerous, but this is just speculation as it could really be anything.
The Redditor also claims that he has since gotten in touch with Google Canada who will be sending him an RMA replacement unit and will be escalating the case. Thankfully apart from the scare, it seems that there were no injuries sustained.
- 515 PPI
- f/2 Aperture
- No Wireless Charg.
- Snapdragon 810