Brilliant Control is an innovative smart home controller equipped with a touch display that you can install in minutes by replacing on of your regular light switch with it, and… it does not require a smartphone!
On the paper, the device looks way easier to install than smart home hubs such as Smarthings, which is compatible with over 200 smart devices and does not offer such an intuitive user experience.
Brilliant Control features a 5-inch LCD touch display and is compatible with over a dozen of devices, including Nest, Sonos, Philips Hue, Ring, SmartThings, Honeywell, security systems. We expect the company to make Brilliant Control compatible with many more devices in the coming months, although nothing was confirmed on that side.
I met Aaron Emigh, Brilliant co-founder and CEO, and Scott Dunlap, CPO and inventor of Brilliant control, and they showed me a compelling demo of an advanced prototype, showcasing only a few use cases of the many options they already have. For example, you can control the lights by swiping up and down the screen, or you can use the digital sliders. You can control your music from there if you own Sonos speakers. For hands-free operation, you can use voice commands.
Brilliant is also equipped with a camera, a microphone and a cover, to allow users to add voice or video intercom to their house. It comes with Amazon Alexa, so you can ask Brilliant for the weather forecast, sports scores, or complete your shopping list. When not used with the Brilliant interface, the 5-inch 720×1280 resolution screen displays photos or art. New seasonal nature scenes and theme packs are available monthly.
Brilliant Control is now available in 14 colors for pre-order at www.brilliant.tech, at a starting price of $199, but the first thousand Brilliant Controls will be sold at a special early-buyer price starting at just $149. The product is expected to ship in late Summer 2017.
- 5” LCD touch display with 720×1280 resolution
- Amazon Alexa Voice Services built-in
- Motion detection to save money by automatically turn on and off lights
- Works with SmartThings or Wink hubs
- Compatible with light switch panels with 1, 2, 3, and 4 switches
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled to connect to smart home devices
- Accepts voice, motion control, and touch commands
- Includes video camera with physical cover for added security
- IFTTT enabled
- Works with all LED lights (including dimming)
- Compatible with existing security systems