GPS sensors built into our smartphones is probably one of the best features ever. This allows our phones to be used together with mapping and navigational tools like Apple Maps. However, the downside is that this has allowed certain apps and services to start tracking our location, which we’re sure that some of you might be uncomfortable with.
Sometimes when you download an app and run it, the app might prompt you to enable Location Services. This means that the app, in theory, could use the GPS built into your phone to keep track of where you are. Some apps, such as Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze, obviously need to use your location to work, but sometimes, some apps don’t need it.
Thankfully, Apple has built into iOS some privacy features that will give you more control over how an app tracks you, so here’s what you need to know if you’d like apps to stop tracking you or to limit its tracking.
How To Stop iPhones App From Tracking You
- Launch Settings
- Go to Privacy > Location Services
- If you want to disable Location Services entirely, you can tap the toggle to turn it off. However, the downside is that this could cause certain apps to stop working or provide inaccurate results.
- If you prefer just managing certain apps, then just tap the individual apps listed below.
- You will now be able to choose between:
- Never allowing the app to access your location, which like we said, could potentially break an app’s functionality
- Allowing the app to access your location while you use it, meaning that once you stop using it, it won’t be able to track you even if it is running in the background.