If you are making a switch from an iPhone to Android, you will need to transfer everything you can to your new device. You might think of it as a time-consuming task, but it doesn’t have to be.
In this article, we are going to explain how to transfer SMS messages from iPhone to Android. Follow the steps below to do it easily and efficiently, for free.
1/ Transfer SMS Database From iPhone To Android (Windows). Mac users proceed to 1B
- First, backup of your iPhone using iTunes. If you already have a backup, proceed to the second step. You will need a backup file which contains all of the message conversations you want to transfer (be it an older backup file or a recent backup).
Note: To successfully transfer SMS messages from iPhone to Android, ensure that the iPhone’s backup file generated via iTunes should not be encrypted.
- Now, you need to navigate your way to iTune’s backup/sync folder. For that, you need to enter the destination where you have iTunes installed. In our case, we had it installed in the default drive (i.e., C: drive) on our windows system.
- After getting into the drive, you need to head inside “Users” folder.
- You will find your username listed as a folder. In my case, it is – Ankush. You may refer to the image below for better understanding.
- Now, navigate your way to your respective user folder and then head into “AppData” folder.
Note: In case you do not find “AppData” folder listed, you need to enable to view hidden files in Windows.
- From here, you need to navigate to the “Roaming” folder.
- Next, dive into Apple’s Computer folder as shown in the image below to find Mobile Sync folder listed.
- Once you are inside the “Mobile Sync” folder, you will need to press CTRL + F and search for ” 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28 ” (without the quotes). This is the required SMS/messages database file of your iPhone that you need to transfer.
- To access the database you just need to select it and copy it to your Android device’s storage (Internal storage preferred) via USB.
1B/ Transfer SMS Database From iPhone To Android In A Mac System
If you own a Mac, you just need to navigate your way to find the same file using a different path. For Mac, you need to head using this path ->(user-name)->Library->Application Support->Mobile Sync->Backup
Now, you have got the database file. Now, to import the conversations from the database file, you just need to follow the steps mentioned below (irrelevant from the fact that you utilized a Mac system or a Windows powered system).
2/ Import iPhone SMS Message Database Using iSMS2droid App
Note: You will be asked to change the default SMS messenger app to iSMS2droid while importing. You need to allow this change to let the app access your messages and import the conversations. Also, grant any of the permissions prompted by the app while importing the messages.
- Download and install iSMS2droid from the Play Store.
- Launch the app and then click on “Select File.” After you click on it, you need to browse the files on your device to find the desired database file you just transferred.
- After you have found the file, select it. Now, you will be asked whether to import all or conversations from the list of selected contacts. If you want to import everything, you need to click on “Import All.” If you require transferring SMS messages from specific people, you can click on “Select by Contact.”
- Finally, the importing process will start, and all of your conversations will be imported in a few minutes.
It is done! You have successfully transferred SMS messages from iPhone to Android. On the off chance, if this method does not work, you can let us know in the comments below to help you troubleshoot.
Alternatively, you can take the help of certain premium phone-to-phone transfer software utilities like BackupTrans, AnyTrans, or MobileTrans to transfer the SMS messages from your iPhone to Android.