If you have bought into Apple’s ecosystem and your home is equipped with an Apple TV and if you also have iPhone or iPad, here’s how you can take advantage of your TV’s larger display by mirroring content from your iPhone or iPad through Apple TV.
This will be useful if you want to share YouTube videos with people in the same room, or if you want to put on a slideshow of photos from your recent trip.
How To Mirror iPhone To Apple TV
- Turn on your Apple TV and ensure both your Apple TV and iPhone are connected to the same WiFi network
- Bring up Control Center on your iPhone and select Screen Mirroring
- Give it a couple of seconds to locate your Apple TV and then tap on it
- You might be prompted to enter an AirPlay passcode on your iPhone. This passcode should be shown on your TV screen
- Once it has been successfully connected, you should see your iPhone or iPad’s home screen on your TV. From there, just use your phone like you normally would and its contents would be mirrored to your TV
How To Mirror Videos From iPhone To Apple TV
The method described above lets you mirror the entire contents of your phone to your Apple TV, including the home screen. It will also show notifications, messages, and so on. If you’d rather not have people see what’s going on in your phone, here’s how you can mirror videos in a less revealing manner.
However, we should point out that not all video apps will support mirroring to your Apple TV, but for the most part, video apps such as YouTube does support the ability to cast content from your iPhone or iPad to the Apple TV.
- Launch the YouTube app on your iPhone
- Tap the cast icon which is the second icon from the right
- Select AirPlay & Bluetooth devices
- Choose your Apple TV from the list
- Your video should show up on your TV in full-screen mode. It will also say on the video Connected to AirPlay
How To Mirror Photos From iPhone To Apple TV
If you’re looking to share your photos on your phone on your Apple TV, here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone
- Tap the share button at the bottom left corner of the screen
- Select AirPlay
- Choose your Apple TV from the list and once connected, your photos should now be displayed on your TV screen.
How To Stop Mirroring iPhone To Apple TV
If you’re done mirroring content from your iPhone to the Apple TV and you want to end the session, it’s actually pretty simple and straightforward.
- Bring up Control Center on your iPhone
- Tap the Screen Mirroring button (its name should have changed to the name of your Apple TV)
- Tap Stop Mirroring and you’re done.