#IFA2017 – Samsung unveiled its new wearable lineup at IFA in Berlin, and the new Gear Fit2 Pro is the successor of the Gear Fit2. The new smart band gets water resistance up to 5 ATM (Atmosphere, a pressure unit) certification and salt resistance, meaning that users will be able to track swim even in the ocean.
A bit heavier than its predecessor at 34g, the Gear Fit 2 Pro delivers a similar edge to edge look, thanks to its high quality 1.5” curved super AMOLED unique display.
Available in two color, black and red, the Gear Fit 2 Pro will be sold on pre-order for $199.99 on August 31 at 9 am ET at Amazon, Best Buy, Macy’s, B&H, and Samsung.com. Gear Fit 2 Pro will be available on September 15, in the same stores. We have played with the new wearable from Samsung, and here are our first impressions.
Gear Fit2 Pro Specifications Highlights
- Display: 1.5” Curved Super AMOLED, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Resolution: 216 x 432, 310 ppi
- Processor: Dual Core 1.0 GHz
- OS: Tizen
- Dimensions: 25.0(W) x 51.3(H) mm
- Weight: 34g (Large), 33g (Small)
- Strap: Small (Size of the wrist: 125~165mm), Large (Size of the wrist: 158~205mm)
- Memory: 4GB Internal memory, 512MB RAM
- Connectivity: Bluetooth v4.2, Wi-Fi b/g/n, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyro, Barometer, HRM
- Battery 200mAh, pogo type charger
- Durability: 5 ATM water resistance, MIL STD 810G certification
- Compatibility: Android 4.3+ (Samsung Galaxy), Android 4.4 (non-Samsung Android phones). iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6S, 6s Plus, SE, 5: *iOS 9.0 or later
Gear Fit2 Specs (previous model)
- our Gear Fit 2 reviewDisplay: 1.5” Touch Curved sAMOLED. 216 x 432.
- Weight: 28-30g
- Dimensions: 25.4 mm (W) X 50.8 mm in (H) x 11.9 mm (D)
- Memory: RAM: 512MB. Storage: 4GB.
- Battery: 200mAh. Typical usage time : 3~4 days. Standby time : Up to 5 days. …
- Sensors: GPS, HR, Accelerometer, Gyro, Barometer.
- Durability: Water Resistant (IP68).
- Processor: Dual-core 1GHz Exynos 3250
- Compatibility: Android 4.4/ 1.5GB RAM↑
Industrial DesignThe new Gear Fit2 Pro looks rather similar than its predecessor, as its dimensions are almost the same. A hair heavier than the Fit2, at 33g-34g, it features a similar rubber band that comes in two colors, red or black. Equipped with the same sensors, and maybe the same dual-core 1Ghz Exynos processor. It is now water-resistant up to 50 meters deep, thanks to an IP68 water resistance certification.
The new Fit2 pro gets the same 1.5” Super AMOLED gorgeous curved display with Gorilla Glass 3, an excellent protection against scratches and cracks. The image quality is amazing and delivers bright colors, deep contrasts and a quite high pixel density of 310 ppi. Just like in the previous model, the bezel around the screen is super thin giving the Fit 2 pro an elegant edge-to-edge look.
New fitness and wellness features
The gear Fit 2 pro delivers some of the new capabilities fond in its smartwatch sibling the Gear Sport.
5 ATM and swim tracking
The biggest update of the Fit 2 Pro is the 5 ATM water resistance certification that allows swim tracking even in the ocean, thanks to the new resistance to salt.
Continuous real time heart rate monitoring
The Fit2 Pro is now capable of real time heart rate tracking, with measurement occurring every second, an upgrade from the 10 minutes-frequency available in the Gear Fit 2. Users can opt to remain with the slower sampling rate, to preserve battery life.
Auto activity detection
The Gear Fit 2 pro, just like the Gear Sport will automatically detect if you start walking, running, cycling or performing activities that could include dancing to basketball.
The Built-in GPS was already integrated into the previous model, and it allows runners to track their trails without the need to bring a phone. With the new music feature, they will be able to listen to their songs without network access, thanks to the 4 GB internal storage.
Swim tracking with new partner Speedo
Since Tizen’s weakness is the limited amount of applications compared to competitive platforms such as Android Wear and Watch OS, Samsung has partnered with some major developers out there.
To leverage the swim tracking capability enabled by the 5 ATM certification, the manufacturer invited Speedo onboard with its Speedo app. You will soon be able to watch a video demo after we upload it to this page.
Offline music with Spotify integration
The partnership with Spotify, the ultra popular online music service, makes total sense knowing that the vast majority of people listen to music while working out.
The battery capacity remains he same at 200 mAh, probably to keep the device lean and light. According to the manufacturer, the Gear Sport last four days on one charge, with the heart rate monitoring sets at 10 minutes frequency. With continuous GPS use, the battery life drops to 10 hours.